Wednesday, August 18, 2010

PICASNER'S PROPAGANDA

I'm thinking maybe I should use a larger font, since Vod seems unable (or unwilling) to actually read Picasner's postings. Nothing in the last two postings has been at all sympathetic to the quality of the Yankee's play, in fact, just the opposite.
However, it is true, I am critical of some statistics, especially those which try to make definitive, end-all results based on numbers, when, in fact, they are based on some arbitrary quality rating. Some even put odd numbers together to prove...well, you tell me:
"Let’s examine who has been the most dominant en route to recording saves. We’ve created an attempt to measure the dominance of a closer by creating what we call the “Game Over Index.” The "Game Over Index" measures the percentage of the time a closer records a save without allowing any runners to reach base. Divide the number of those saves by the pitcher’s amount of save opportunities, and you get Game Over Save Percentage, or their “Go Saves” number." [Justin Ray, ESPN Stats and Information]
Well, certainly this will show once and for all, who's the best closer, right? It will probably surprise the hell out of you to find who it is, based on this "fact." (answer later)

Yes, the urge to slap anyone in dark blue is uncontrollable, which explains why I've never seen Vod dressed in a dark blue suit, much to my dismay. So far, it's been limited to umpires, but...

I have been requested to pass along a comment from a loyal reader:
"Dear Chad, This is a warning.......... Don't ever belittle Mr. Loverboy again. Annie and I will be very angry. You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Jeter! Next time you'll pay dearly."
Maris
The comment was made by Vod, not me.
"Dear Vod, I have been informed of my error in blaming Picasner of a slight against the beloved Mr. Jeter. So I am passing along my initial warning. Don't spit into the wind and never mess around with Jeter."
Maris
PS to CP Sorry, I should have known you would never cross that line.
Of course not. I'm not dumb. And Annie-O says, "You have to sleep sometime."

CP-
Oh yeah, the best closer. It's Mariano Rivera. See, we never would have know if it wasn't for that informative and worthwhile statistic.

No comments: