Wednesday, November 24, 2010

IT'S TIME TO CHOOSE UP SIDES

After a while, I get bored dealing with the "Silly Season," when we have to wade through all the crazy rumors, 90% of which, never turn out. So with nothing major to report or comment on, I decided to come up with an all-star baseball team, made up of characters in sports movies who showed at least some talent. I hoped to stay true to the various positions, but I wasn't totally successful. I also found that if I limited myself to men, I would have to compromise my criteria, so women will be included - and not for the purposes that Jimmy Dugan has, ..."to sleep with after the game." That being said, here's my team:

Catcher: Crash Davis (Kevin Costner, Bull Durham) Probably the best athlete of the bunch
1st Base: Dottie Hinson (Geena Davis, A League of Their Own) Had to put her somewhere
2nd Base: Marla Hooch (Megan Cavanagh, A League...) Ok no closeups, but she's a switch hitter
Shortstop: Ellen Sue Gotlander (Freddie Simpson, A League-) Man's name, but a woman's body
3rd Base: Roger Dorn (Corbin Bernson, Major League) No push-ups required, Roger
Left Field: Shoeless Joe (Ray Liotta, Field of Dreams) My weakest pick
Center Field: Willie Mays Hayes (Wesley Snipes, Major League) Perfect pick - he has a record
Right Field: Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford, The Natural) Not bad for a 48-year old man
Designated Hitter: Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks, A league...) If he's sober
Pitchers: Nuke Laloosh (Tim Robbins, Bull Durham) Garter belt and all
Kit Keller (Lori Petty, A League...) You gotta love that leg kick
Relief Pitcher: Ricky Vaughn (Charlie Sheen, Major League) Can you say Ryne Duren?

Subs: Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger, Major League) As long as we don't ask him to pinch-run
Mae Morabito (Madonna, A League...) What a clubhouse presence
Ty Cobb (Tommy Lee Jones, Cobb) Anybody wanna argue with him?

Manager: Lou Brown (James Gammon, Bull Durham) He's certainly got the voice for it
Coach: Larry Hockett (Robert Wuhl, Bull Durham) Leads the league in wedding gifts

Announcer: Harry Doyle (Bob Uecker, Major League) Could there be any other choice?

I'm sure we all have our favorites and I'll listen to suggestions.

CP-

No comments: