Thursday, January 22, 2015

FOR EVERY PROBLEM, THERE IS A SOLUTION

I am not a big sports expert (I know, hard to believe, right?), but I have friends who do know what they're talking about. I raised some questions in my last post about the under-inflated footballs in the AFC Championship game. Mr. Dwight Perry, Seattle Times night sports editor, has some answers. Here's an e-mail he sent me.

Dave:
Regarding NFL game balls. If I'm not mistaken, each team has 12-20 balls with their team name stamped on them, so the Patriots would only be using balls with Patriots stamped on them and Colts with Colts, etc. So the only way this came to light was when Brady threw an interception -- the Pats ball falling into enemy hands, literally -- and the intercepting linebacker noticed it had a bunch of give to it. As for the 12th ball that was properly inflated, maybe that's the kicker's ball, since I'm sure they want it inflated as much as possible. The quarterbacks doctor footballs just like pitchers do baseballs, I've heard. The worst thing is a slick ball fully inflated, unless you have hands the size of King Kong.
dp

All this sounds very reasonable. Makes me feel like I should run everything thru Mr. Perry first so I wouldn't sound like such a fool. I'd still BE one, of course, but it wouldn't be publicized.

Thank you Dwight Perry.

Chad

No comments: