Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SILLY SEASON - 9/17

SHORT ARMS, DEEP POCKETS - Artie Moreno, LA Angels owner, says he has no plans to add any payroll next year. While that may reduce the salary levels of certain free agent ballplayers, I can't imagine that makes their agents too happy. Don't we all feel sorry for Scott Boras? Uh, no.
BLOOD LUST - An ESPN poll asked, "What is more interesting: a Late season surge by a team or a late season collapse?" Answer at the end of the blog.
HOW'D HE DO THAT? - I was wondering this week, how could Lou Gehrig drive in all those runs (averaged 142/year for 14 years) while hitting behind Babe Ruth and then Joe DiMaggio? As a last resort, I went to my best baseball guru, named Little Watusi, for the answer. "Simple. He simply changed jerseys and batted 7th and then changed again and batted 1st." Now why didn't I think of that? I think I'll make sure he's sober before I ask him any more questions.
IS IT OVER, YET? - Jerry Crasnick of ESPN, lists 9 players who probably won't be looking for a raise next year. Pretty interesting reading.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3592846
A SPORT I COULD LEARN TO LIKE - The Bathurst 1000 auto race in Australia is a big party scene for fans. This year, however, in order to control the fans, the police installed a TWO-DOZEN beer limit for fans. Police officials were quoted as saying, "Anyone who needs to drink more than 24 cans of beer to have a good time is not welcome." I've gotta believe that anyone who can drink 24 cans of beer has got to be pretty easy to control. First of all, he's probably already on the ground and if he's not asleep now, he soon will be. How easy does it have to be for Australian police?

Answer: 2/3rds of the voters would rather see a collapse. I guess we like seeing teams fall on their faces. Who says there's no crying in baseball?

No comments: