Saturday, July 12, 2008

*** BOBBY ***

He was smaller than I expected, this homer-hitting stud from Oklahoma. The next Mickey Mantle. I went to MacArthur Stadium to see him. I seem to remember he was playing for Richmond but the biographies say Toledo. Whatever. I noticed his odd stance: straight-legged, bent at the waist, bat held high and at an angle.The short stroke provided power his size belied. He didn't hit a homer, but he doubled off the wall in right that night. He fielded his position (SS) flawlessly,if not spectacularly. He smiled at the ribbing the fans gave this new bonus-baby Yankee, and kidded them back. A ballplayer talking to the fans. After that night, I knew he'd never be a home run king like Mickey, but he was so graceful and fluid, I thought he be a major-leaguer for a long time.

During an Old-Timers game a few years ago, he wore a microphone while he played. On his way in from left field, instead of going to the dugout, he went and sat in the stands and "interviewed" a fan for the whole half-inning, and we were spellbound. He not only loved the game and it's players, but also it's fans. You wanted to invite him home for dinner. I wished I was that fan.

It was touching. It was beautiful. It was BOBBY.

No comments: