Wednesday, May 12, 2010

NO GAME, BUT I'M STILL HERE

***LEGAL, BUT NOT POLITE?***
First, the debate was whether or not to try and bunt for a base hit when the pitcher has not allowed a hit. Those who were against it, had no answer for the argument, "you're trying to win the game." So then it came down to when. Is it okay in the 5th? The 6th? 7th, 8th? Does the score matter? Is it okay if you're only down 3-0? 4-0? 5-0?
Bunting for base hits is certainly a part of the game, and no one like to be no-hit, so why not go for it? What about this scenario: Down 4-0, bottom of the ninth, two outs, no one on and Jason Giambi at the plate? Giambi is a dead pull hitter and teams often use an exaggerated shift on him. If they use the shift, is it okay for him to slap the ball to left? If there was no perfect game on the line and the winning run was on third , would teams employ the shift? Would it be okay for Giambi to hit to left if they did? I think it's the same thing: get on base. You want the perfecto, defend yourself.

***A DENIAL, OF SORTS***
Ken Griffey has spoken out against the charge that he was sleeping in the clubhouse. Actually, what he said was, "I was always available to play." I noticed the word "asleep" was not in that sentence. The Mariners manager, however, did say he CHOSE not to use Griffey and that he WAS on the bench, but that can be verified and I've read nothing that said that replays show Griffey on the bench. All this chatter is simply making it worse. Let's move on, please.

The Rochester paper says the Yanks are playing the Tigers at 1/7 PM today. Boy, am I confused. There's no 1/7th on my clock. Hopefully, I'll have something to write about Yankee baseball tomorrow. I'm certainly done with these two subjects.

CP-

No comments: