Tuesday, July 21, 2009

MANTLE VS. MUSIAL

Stan The Man has been in the news lately because the Cardinals didn't make as big a fuss over him at the All-Star game as Boston did for Ted Williams. I read that it was because Obama decided to steal some of the limelight and Musial's time was diminished. That's too bad. I always considered Musial the 2nd best (after Ted Williams) PURE hitter that I ever saw (That sets 1954 as the starting point).
Ted Marchman has started a debate as to whether Mantle or Musial was the better player. Of course, you had to know that Bill James, numbers man (and Boston Red Sox employee) was behind this. Through some elaborate and confusing numbers manipulation, James has come up with the W.A.R.P. - Wins Above Replacement Player. Using every stat imaginable, he claims to be able to determine how many more wins a player would provide over an "average" player. I'm not sure I understand how he determined what an "average" player could do, but that's his system.
Career-wise, Musial outscored Mantle 128-120. He does admit that Musial played 4 more years and had 3000 more at-bats, but he also says Musial missed a prime year to military service.

I leave it to you: you're on a playground choosing up sides. You pick first and Mantle and Musial are standing there. Who do you pick?

I thought so.

No comments: