Sunday, August 18, 2013


## I'm tired of the never-ending saga of A-Rod, the Yanks and PEDs. Can't everybody just shut up and play baseball? Two final thoughts from people smarter than me (like that narrows it down):
Mike Lupica - "If A-Rod is telling the truth about the Yanks attempt to mistreat him, he should file a grievance, sue everybody and let the lawyers and the Union deal with it." 
Bob Klapish - "The Yankees and MLB will have to endure many more weeks of this kind of stuff. It would be wise for them to just stand down, rather than respond. As a wise basketball coach once said, "There's no sense in getting into the mud-throwing contest with a pig, because you both get dirty and the pig loves the mud."

## The Phillies fired their long-time manager Charley Manuel. Most of the sportswriters are upset that the Phillies chose to do it now, rather than wait till the end of the season. Why is that? Wouldn't it be better to let a new manager get his feet wet with the current team, so he would have an educated opinion on how to improve the team over the winter? Charley Manuel was a successful manager, he was a popular manager and he was a nice guy. But, in my opinion, he was also a 'lucky' manager. He sometimes managed by the seat of his pants and made moves that went against baseball precepts, but he had some very good players who pulled it off for him. A manager is only as good as the players on the field. When they fade, he suddenly isn't so smart anymore.  

## Miguel Tejada has been suspended for 105 games for using Adderall. That's a very odd number.

## Is there anybody hotter than the LA Dodgers right now? They have won 10 in a row and 42 of their last 50. Two months ago, they were 10 games under .500, seven and a half games out and Don Mattingly was bringing his suitcase to the ballpark every day. Now they're 22 games over .500 and running away with the NL West. And my sister-in-law is winning our bet.

## There's somebody else that's pretty hot. Alphonso Soriano has had a week he'll never forget - neither will we. In the last 6 games, he was 16-26 (.6215), with 19 RBIs and 10 runs scored. He also slugged 5 home runs. He has electrified the whole team. I know he's a streak hitter, but this is ridiculous.

## There will be new rules for instant replay next year, which involves managers issuing "challenges"  to plays they think are wrong, and they aren't allowed to argue with umpires. I heard this and my first thought was how could you come up with a silly solution like that? Then I found out it came from a committee headed by Joe Torre and I said, "Oh, now I see!"

"A computer program called the Predictalator ran 50,000 simulations of the upcoming NFL season, with the 49ers winning the Super Bowl in 20.1 percent of them. And Jim Harbaugh complained about the refs' calls in the other 79.9 percent."  -- Dwight Perry
"The hapless Houston Astros have made a major league worst 89 errors so far this season. The only web-gems this year came on Bring Your Glove Night."  -- Alan Ray
 "Alex Rodriguez hit his first home run of 2013 on the same day as the season premiere of “Breaking Bad”. It was a big day for drug dealers.”  -- Conan O'Brien
"I saw a naked guy running across the field during Thursday night's football game and assumed it was part of the NFL's demonstration of how they'll make the Pro Bowl more fun."  -- Brad Dickson
"Texas A&M will open their season Aug. 31 vs Rice University. Currently, their injury report lists QB Johnny Manzeit as "Questionable" due to Writers Cramp."  -- TC Chong
"No matter how well she drives NASCAR's straightaways, some guys will always grade Danica Patrick on her curves."  -- RJ Currie
"A zoo in Henan, China, was caught trying to pass off a dog as a lion. Hey, don't laugh - Matt Millem got away with it for four years in Detroit."  -- Dwight Perry
"Forbes says the Dallas Cowboys, worth $2.3 billion, are America’s most valuable team. Can you imagine how much the Cowboys would be worth if they could actually win?"  -- Janice Hough
"A village in New York state has proposed using birth control to control the deer population. The proposal was met with approval by all city employees except for the guy whose job it'd be to put the condoms on the bucks in heat."  -- Brad Dickson
"A new residence hall primarily for student-athletes at Oklahoma includes a movie theater. In a related story, a non-athlete dormitory at OU was going to get indoor plumbing, but the regents voted it down."  -- Brad Dickson



No comments: